Sunday, January 08, 2006

top 20 of 2005

here we go...true sign of a man with too much time on his hands.
I've already done a top 10...but that was two months ago. it was premature and not fully thought out.

lets do this

old school

this is objective and totally factual
(I've not included EP's)

20. Vitalic - OK Cowboy
19. Caribou - The Milk Of Human Kindness
18. Fembots - The City
17. Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
16. Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights
15. Andrew Bird - and the mysterious production of eggs
14. Antony and the Johnsons - I am a Bird Now
13. Hold Steady - Seperation Sunday
12. M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us
11. The Silver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers
10. Josh Rouse- Nashville
9. Jamie Lidell - Multiply
8. John Vanderslice - Pixel Revolt
7. Lucksmiths - Warmer Corners
6. Clientele - Strange Geometry
5. Constantines - Tournament of Hearts
5. M. Ward - Transistor Radio
4. Decemberists - Picaresque
3. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
2. My Morning Jacket - Z
1. Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

Other albums I enjoyed and/or need to listen to more beofre I include them in a list(including EP's)

Beck - Guero
Laura Cantrell - Hummed By the Flowered Vine
Iron and Wine/Calexico - In The Reins (EP)
Iron and Wine - Woman King(EP)
Jens Lekman - Oh You're So Silent Jens
Grandaddy - Excerpts from the Diary of Toddzilla
Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice - Harem of the Sundrum & the Witness Figg
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
Fruit Bats - Spelled in Bones
Bonnie "prince" Billy/Matthew Sweeney - Superwolf
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

5 comments:

Major^2 said...

God, Nick
maybe I should just go back and edit my list to be exactly like yours

a)At least 15 of these albums are nowhere to be seen on the pitchfork list. If I truly wanted tyo "kiss" ass I'd include a hip-hop album or two

b)and I guess you can include me with your enemies, since you usually mock and hate most albums I really love.

c)I think I clarified that some of the honorable mentions need more listening to. I could pull one of Nick's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot moments and totally disregard it (or say you're just pandering to the dozens of critics who made it #1), but I won't. I'll actually give it a solid listen one of these days.

d)I never like to include EPs and I won't combine the two totayll unrelated EPs to make up a albums worth of material.

e)it is about 100 million times more looney to include Sir Pauls last album on ANY top 20 (oh hell, top 50) than it is to mention Sufjan in the honorable mentions or make Wolf Parade #1. Chaos is catchy to be sure, but vapid and only gets more annoying the more listens you give it.

f) I really really love the Wolf Parade album. Give it a break. You don't have to tear down this album in front of me every opportunity you get. I get the point, you don't like it. I'm sorry if you think i've been 'tricked' into liking them...I don't know what to say to that. Not every artist has to have an unwavering pop sensibility to be credible.
I think you're often tricked into liking an album. If it's catchy and the vocals sound like they're really trying their gosh-darn best to be perfect than it will probably make your fave albums list.

I'm not trying to be harsh here. But I guess it just annoys me when someone takes one look at a list I've made, procedes to make three posts (not one being positive), starts crying for me and declaring me crazy and on drugs

I'm going back to my dream where I'm in small town america with my family for apparently no reason at all.

Major^2 said...

yeah, I felt as though I got a bit defensive there.
I was going to delete my post this morning when I awoke.
But I reread your posts and said, 'this guy deserves it'

I kinda thought you might be going purposely over the top, but it's not often I get to rip into a good friend, and I savored the opporunity.

On a related note. I brought Sufjan to work today and it is indeed a great record. Even the 'bells and whistles' songs seem to have something endearing. I don't really get the fawning that so many critics and fans have been lauding on this album, but it IS really really good.

also, also,
the Wolf Parade actually have two lead singers. One of whom actually employs very standard alt-rock vocals. Sure, the other yelps his way through his songs, but I like it. It's interesting and VERY skillfull. If I could sing like that AND hold a melody I would be so proud of myself I'd probably start doing it too.

T. said...

Hmm, this is kinda funny.

I was actually planning to post on my blog about how I got these two compilation discs from friends for Christmas and how there was very little overlap in the "Best of 2005 discs of two of my favorite music afficionados who I actually assumed would have had alot of the same stuff. Because I lump you two together as among my biggest music lover/music snob friends.

interesting to see this kinda cranky exchange between friends. Sorry, is it weird that I enjoyed it?

And I thank you both for the discs. I enjoy them both very much. Thanks for the horizon expansion. Now if I could just get either of you to appreciate world beat, traditional folk and reggae music...

T. said...

OH and it was interesting to me how the Fembots album just fell by the wayside since the early top 10 post. Np cristicism - just interesting.

T. said...

OK I was sure I read that twice and didn't see the Fembots record on there. Sorry. I will go back to my music dunce cap corner of the room now.